Boy Scouts of America
Heart of Virginia Council

Home  Troop Calendar  LATEST NEWS  Scoutmaster's Corner  Recent Events  Pack 910  Eagles Page
To view The Latest Courier click here.  Crater District Calendar

Recent Events!






Troop 900 arrived at Albrights for the Klondike Derby a little before 7:00 p.m. and we immediately began setting up our campsite. In spite of the cold there was great anticipation about the next day’s competition. I was nervous about the possibility of freezing to death during the night.

The next morning (yes, I survived the night) we, the Serpent Patrol, had a simple, but hardy breakfast of instant oatmeal and cereal bars. Then with the help of Joe, our fearless SPL, we got all of the equipment that we would need for the Derby onto the sled. Then, Joe got a marker and we all signed our names onto one of our two flags. There was Joe, J.C., Kevin, Aaron, Josh, and I, Thomas S, all a part of the sinuous Serpent Patrol. Then Joe gathered the whole troop together and gave a motivating speech about remembering the three things that we had to do; believe in ourselves, believe in others, and trust our and other’s abilities. It took him a little while to finish because oo eSe eMe kept jumping in and saying Joe was like Monty Python in the Spanish Inquisition. This caused a lot of laughter and left us in high spirits to begin the competition.

We then took our sled to be checked-in and listened to an explanation of the rules given by one of the adult leaders running the Klondike Derby. Soon afterwards we were given a map and a scorecard and we were off. We had begun the Klondike Derby.

Kevin, Joe, Josh, and I were pulling and Aaron and J.C. were pushing the sled. The cold sometimes made the going a bit difficult. We got to our first station, knots, and did well, but we missed one knot, the timber hitch. (Oops, practice, practice, practice). Then we got to our next station, which was a game that involved teamwork. We got a perfect score of 10. What a great team! We pulled our sled to our 3rd station, fire building and quickly built a small fire and burned our string in half. However we did not get a perfect score, we only got 9 points, because J.C. and I accidentally started several seconds too early. (Oops again! I guess we got too caught up in the excitement.) We moved on to our 4th station where we made our lunch of ramen noodles and Doritos. We are good at boiling water.

After lunch, we did first aid, and moved on to the stretcher relay. For me this was the best part of the day. Josh and Aaron did the first half of the relay carrying (and dropping!) Kevin. Then Joe and J.C. carried me for the second half of the relay. But, Joe and J.C. didn’t walk with my stretcher, they ran. It was a very exciting ride, just lying on a blanket while flying though the air. I felt like Aladdin.

Following the stretcher relay we went to the height and distance station. It was the station that was run by Troop 900 and we were disappointed that we didn’t do well. It was a downhill slope to the final station so we took off running but came to an abrupt stop in the mud at the bottom of the hill. There was a long line of sleds at the last station, so we had to wait for about an hour to do our turn. During that time we did some target practice on each other with pinecones. We did well on this last station, getting a perfect score of 10. We ran to the finish

line and turned in our scorecard. When the results were announced, they told us who was the top 9 of the 18 patrols that competed. The Serpents came in 4th place!! We were very proud of ourselves and happily returned to the campsite and put away our equipment.

That evening we packed up as much as possible so we won’t have to do so much in the morning. This took a little extra time because every so often someone would have to go warm themselves by the fire! But, it didn’t snow on us and everyone seemed to have a good and worthwhile weekend.

BY: Thomas S.



The week before the Klondike Derby the Dragon patrol got their patrol box ready. We planned our menu and decided to have easy meals because they were fast cleanup and we would be very tired after pulling the sled all day.

On Friday at 6 o’clock on the 23rd of January, the Dragons packed their gear into the trailer. We got to Albright’s farm at 7 o’clock. The Dragons unpacked the trailer and set up tarps and tents in the dark. The Dragons had to share a dining fly with the Serpent patrol because of missing poles. We, the dragons, had hot chocolate and played Magic until 11 o’clock that night.

On Saturday morning we all had cereal and milk. We had everything we needed except our patrol flag. While we waited a photographer from the Hopewell Newspaper took our picture. When we started the Klondike it was tough because one of our strings came untied and made it hard for us to hold onto the sled. The sled was really heavy and we were the last ones to leave the starting point. Our best event was fire building because it was fun and helped us stay warm. We finished the course around 4:30 that afternoon. We, the Dragon patrol, came in 9th place out of 18 sleds which was good because I didn’t think we had practiced that much.

Each member of our patrol had a special event that they performed and did really good at. Steve was really good at tying the timber hitch. Joel was good at the stretcher relay because he was strong. Chris was good at the height & distance station. Jimmie was good at the first aid station for broken legs. Thomas V was good at fire building because he knew what kind of sticks to get to make the fire burn. And I, Victor was good at remembering what order the Toxin Turtles go in to get across the toxic moat. One of the funniest things that happened at Albrights was when we threw each other down the slope while waiting at the life rescue station.

Sunday, we had oatmeal and packed our tents. We had a church service and left.

BY: Victor



Blue Ridge Sporting Goods Trip
n February 3rd, Troop 900 went to Blue Ridge Sporting Goods. There we met an Eagle Scout who taught us about backpack hiking.

After we sat down in “Crazy Creek”’ seats, he told us about cooking equipment and food. First he showed us two models of cooking stoves and their fuel. Then he talked about silverware with tools on the end, and his mess kit. Afterwards, he presented many verities of dehydrated food.

Then he explained about appropriate clothing, rain weather gear, and staying warm in sleeping bags. Next, he presented water bottles with attachable water purifiers that can screw on the top.

Finally, he ended the lecture by letting us shop briefly among the amazing products. They had kayaks, canoes, sleeping bags, food, gloves, flashlights, and anything you can think of.

We had a great time!!!

By: Kevin


This question was asked of the new members of our Troop. Here are their answers:

NICK: “It went ok. Good. It was fun. I learned how to tie knots.”

GARRETT: “It was fun because we got to play cards, watch movies, go outside and go bowling. I learned what the Scout Badge represents.”

DANIEL: “Pretty good. I learned how to tie knots.”

BRANDON: I learned different Scout techniques. Had lots of fun. Made new friends and had fun with the old friends.”

DREW: “Good. Played cards and board games. Had fun playing around. Learned how to tie a lot of knots and about Boy Scouting.”

SCOTT: “It was nice. Went very well. Bowling was fun. The knot tying was a good review.”


Scout Hut Camp-In

Friday Night: After we arrived at the scout hut we set up sleeping quarters. Shortly after it was time to break out the card games such as Yu-Gi-Oh & Magic the Gathering. Nick, Scott, Josh, Drew, Dan, Chris, & Garrett played Yu-Gi-Oh. Joe, Jimmie, Rhys, & Kevin played magic. Sometime later the troop headed out for a game of manhunt. Upon the completion of manhunt the boys watched Cats & Dogs. Rhys, Joe, and I sat back down to trade Magic cards. Some of the boys played Yu-Gi-Oh and watched James Bond. Then we headed off to bed.

Saturday Morning: We got up at 6:45 sharp. Early in morning we moved our stuff out of the way. Breakfast followed. The Dragons had Pop-tarts, OJ, & peach applesauce. The serpents worked on bacon cooking skills & pancakes. 9:00 a.m. time for the real training course starting with 1st aid. The game called for patrols to answer first aid questions until the whole patrol to get the members across the finish line. Then it was time for knots. After this it was requirement time where the boys could get things signed off.

Saturday Afternoon: 4:00 p.m. came around real fast and the next thing you know we were at the alley. It was not only great competition but it was also great fun. After 2 games we headed to Cici's Pizza. Upon arrival there were not enough tables so we sat separately. We got back and jumped back into Magic and the movie “Bruce Almighty.” During the movie the Collections merit badge was offered. It was now time for the highlight of the weekend the Biggest Game of manhunt ever. Then it was time for bed.

Sunday Morning: We cleaned up the scout hut and headed off to church. After church we came back to the scout

hut and waited for our parents. Thus ending the great scout hut camp-in. BY: Jimmie B.

Ramsey’s Draft Hike

Man, it was chilly! We had plans and aspirations of a warm weekend but those weather forecasters were most definitely wrong.

We arrived to the Scot Hut late Fri. night and Mr. Finger showed off his fancy and very light pack. We also made final touches on our packs.

Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep sounded the alarm bright and early telling us that it was time to hit the road. Three hours later and with a change of scenery we arrived at the starting point of our hike.

Thomas V. (T-man)

After arriving we hiked from 10:30 to 5:30 to or campsite. We cooked and went to bed by 8 PM. When we woke up it sleeted for awhile and while we were on the trail we waded the draft multiple times.

Thomas G (Mr. T)

We continued for the last four miles after fording multiple times (where I fell into one creek) and arrived at the cars. We then went to Burger King where we were relieved to get away from Thomas V. toots. We then happily went home after completing a great hike.

Thomas S. (T-Bone)





Thank you for visiting Troop 900 on the web. Contact: Webmaster
Tell us what you think of our page!